Wasalamalaikum. The greatest obstacle to evolution is the greedy ego. When society’s institutions are based upon ego standards, it is the whole community of men that is molded to abide by false standards of living. Currently, advancement is generally observed in external, material terms. We spend much time on polishing our looks, our appearance, our homes yet if we dedicated only half of that time to polishing ourselves inwardly as well, our world would be much more balanced and harmonious.
This culture of pride is encouraged, we mask our shortcomings and insecurities by colossal external means instead of working at alleviating them by going at the root of our distress which is the ego’s domination. As long as the ego dominates, we are always seduced by the suggestion of “solutions” that actually create even more difficulty for us. All these misleading schemes we keep coming up with only reflect the ego’s domination, the greatest impediment to our Freedom as souls.
We are conditioned at a young age to nurture ego’s thriving, education system plays a major role in this as well. In school, we diligently learn to:
– see our fellow creatures as threats and thus fiercely compete with them in order to “advance” whereas we all are unique with a divinely defined purpose for each of us as we are,
– repress individuality and relinquish independent thinking and this behavior is rewarded by our teachers too!
– discourage or oppress talents that will not be assets to the established oppressive system’s expansion,
– abide by man-made rules even as they oppose the Divine Rule,
– attack in order to quench the ego’s violent delusions,
– suppress peacefulness, intuition, harmonious feelings and emotions. For instance, a child who acts from love because s/he is sensitive with a deep feeling nature is often viewed as “weak”, immature or inept to function socially; the educative institutions nourish this falsehood and therefore change who children are by fragmenting their innate disposition, they basically expect those children to adapt to structures that violate their nature… do you see how backward that is?
How about allowing the heart to be more part of our systemic daily lives? How about being more humane and less like robots in our bureaucracies? How about allowing room for more of the kindness we are made of? This is the natural way, just look at how gentle, peaceful we all were when we were born! Our world’s structures resist the soul’s qualities so strongly, it is jarring, unnatural, even abnormal. How can we tolerate diversity in humanity and have any compassion for our fellow creatures if our lives are based upon illusory standards that take away from our innate potential? The nourishing of pride is the root cause of all our world troubles.
“Do they not look at Allah’s creation, (even) among (inanimate) things,- How their (very) shadows turn round, from the right and the left, prostrating themselves to Allah, and that in the humblest manner?
And to Allah doth obeisance all that is in the heavens and on earth, whether moving (living) creatures or the angels: for none are arrogant (before their Lord).”
~ 16:48-49 Holy Qur’an
copyrights 2007 Aida Toure